Tips On Staying Safe When Studying Abroad – A Guide For Thai Students
When you are alone in a new country for studying purposes, you need to make sure that you follow a certain code of conduct and stay disciplined in order to stay away from trouble or danger. Every country has its own dynamics when it comes to safety and security, and knowing about it well in advance by doing a little research is essential to know what to do and what to avoid to stay out of danger.
Always be conscious of your surroundings and the people you hang out with, and do take care of your belongings. Being a little extra alert when travelling alone is also crucial to ensure that you are not robbed or your things are not stolen. Most of the miscreants in any country target the new people in the country as they are the easy targets, so don’t be an easy target. Beware of pick pockets and do research about the local scams that happen frequently, so that you do not fall under the trap of scammers. Here are the few tips that would help you stay safe during your stay abroad for studying –
- Make sure that you keep the emergency contact number with yourself all the time and have the address of your hostel or where you are staying all the time. Store it in your phone as well as in your purse on a written note.
- Make sure that you purchase travel insurance, so that in case of any luggage lost or stolen or if your money is lost, you have something to fall back on as a contingency plan.
- If you are a girl, it is essential that you take precautions and don’t stay out at night alone, at least in the initial period till you get to know the city.
- Never ever hesitate to ask help from public or the security person in case you feel you are being followed. Call a local friend immediately and let him/her know of your emergency situation in case anything’s wrong.
- If you are touring around the place, do not make it obvious that you are a tourist.
- It only makes sense that when you are in the new city, especially when you are alone; do not get so drunk that you can’t take care of yourself and your belongings. It is a big no-no, and would immediately put you at risk.
- Make sure that you keep your doors and windows locked when away in the class, and keep your extremely valuable stuff like money, documents and jewellery hidden and safe.
- Follow Google Maps or other navigation applications when travelling around, so that you know you are going at your destination, especially when travelling alone in taxi or with someone. It won’t let you get fooled, especially when someone is trying to lure you somewhere thinking you don’t know the place.
- Make sure that you only hire the registered cabs and do not hire the private cars.
- Do not eat or drink something that’s given to you by strangers. It can be a set up you don’t know about.
- Follow your gut feeling, and if something doesn’t feel right, don’t go ahead with it.
These are the few tips to help you stay safe when going abroad to study. It is essential that you make friends who are studying in the same college or class with you, and mostly hang around with them. Trusting the right people and staying alert at all times would ensure that you stay away from danger.
Are you in Thailand? Learn more about studying abroad at: https://www.idp.com/thailand/studyabroad/studentservices
- What are some unique personal and professional benefits of continuing education for nurses? September 29, 2023
- Online education and virtual classrooms for teaching law August 31, 2023
- How Can a Counselor-Patient Relationship Affect the Outcome of Therapy? August 18, 2023
- Software engineering: A career for the future July 31, 2023
- Empowering healthcare through collaborative learning June 9, 2023
- The Digital Landscape Of College Search May 27, 2023
- How do mental health nurses incorporate holistic care practices? May 16, 2023